Saturday, May 03, 2003

As Promised, and nothing political.

One hot topic that has left many Singaporeans feverish is SARS. Singaporeans Are Really Scared this time around. Well, I am very caught between delivering a lesson on my blog on the 5 Stages of a Terminally Ill patient, and making this blog a light one. I choose the latter.

The other day, I saw this guy on the train, armed with a N95, gloves, long-sleeved shirt, long pants, shoes. In 4 words, he was totally covered. I sat opposite him, in my mind, wondering if he was trying a avoid the virus, avoid passing the virus, or perhaps someone he didn't want to meet. I mean in all those gears, who could have guessed who that was right?

Remember some weeks back there was this bloke who went on a robbing spree, with his mask on? I reckon Singaporeans are totally innovative. In crisis like these, they can come up with ingenious ideas for their own, crimes?

Now, with all these other happenings, no wonder Singaporeans are sars-picious of everyone else. My friend was telling me, once, knowingly in contact with anyone with SARS, we are all sars-pects. And on the news we often hear about the sars-pected cases. Of course it is sars, what else?

Ok, enough of my corny puns on SARS, doesn't very much cornnect.

On a more serious note, I am grateful that SARS has been very much contained in TTSH, we've made sure that most people who needed to be off the streets, are off the streets. In the entire episode, I see several things that lifts my spirits, and smashes it too.

I am encouraged by the folks working hard, risking not only their lives, but their loved ones too, to treat and manage the situation. Imagine our health-care workers chickening out? I was talking to a friend who's a A&E Nurse in TTSH. The courage within was amazing. Mate, I'm proud of you. Its selflessness you know. How many of us can do this? Respond to our call of duty this way?

On the other hand, while a group are hard at work, there are a few Singaporeans who thinks that the nation owes them a living. Roaming around the streets after being told by the doctor to sit tight and wait to be sent to the TTSH for good care and treatment. These are the people that gives reason for the govt. to ban guns, they need to be protected. I would have volunteered to shoot the living life out of that fellow. Anytime.

Lately, I haven't been so harsh on cabbies. I used to be totally mean towards them. Felt that their behavior on the road was totally difficult, and gun control laws were to protect them. Today, cabbies are so affected by SARS that many are making losses, returning vehicles etc etc. I feel for them, and there's nothing the govt. can do about it. Give handouts? As much as my heart goes out to them, cabbies, I do hope this is a lesson for you. Behave well on the road, you don't own it, we'll not make your lives to miserable also ok?

There's so much to talk about SARS, and lessons I have learnt. I remember my friends falling sick during the week school closed. They had a throat infection. It left us all worried, not knowing what was wrong with them. Was it the dreaded word? I remember our assignments coming to a standstill coz they couldn't meet up to complete assignments, and at times, we had to work doubly hard to complete each other's part. I've learned to extend a hand, and do more, just to make everyone more comfy. My friends, thanks for running along side with me.

I'm not going to criticize what had happened, not until things are more settled, and not on my blog.

My joy is that things are more settled, and life must go on. Like it or not, we've been hit, now recovering, so lets do our bit to get things moving..and life going.

Tomorrow's Blog is something not so current. Think this isn't too good a post. Like some news analysis cut out and pasted. lol. I'll be back soon. SARSi anyone?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home