Monday, January 10, 2005

My Esppit Tee-Shirt, Your Luis Vetton Handbag

(DISCLAIMER: This entry is solely based on the frustrations of the writer. It bears every relations to some other works by other authors, copycats and imitations. If you feel offended by it, I strongly suggest you reflect on what you have been doing; and check the dates of my earlier entries. I make no apologies for whatever I have to say. BE FOREWARNED: This entry is not meant for the weak-hearted, the pregnant, and the petty. I will bear no responsibility for any way your health or pride had been punctured by reading on.)

The world would have been a better place if we knew how to honour each other's works and originality. The literary world would have been a more refined place if education met its purpose in the lives of people today.

What's up with 'Disclaimers' on blogs these days? What's the purpose of informing the world that it is your own reflections and thoughts and tell the world it meant no harm when you were clearly writing your life's sad story on it?

Do we really need disclaimers so cover ourselves so that we can bitch all we want, and inform the world that it is, 'well, I already said it was MY opinion, and if you are offended, too bad?!

What are you exactly trying to prove?

Nope, I am not saying that disclaimers are solely for my usage, but why do I read disclaimers that are so similar to mine? I even see in 'challenge-to-action' statements that are exactly like mine.

No better style to write with? That you fella have to use daily metaphorical examples to prove your point too? Nope, not that this style and method solely belongs to me, but then again, why is there such stark similarities?

Oh well, one of the reasons why I enjoy walking through flea markets is because they offer a wide variety of imitation clothes. Those who are so real you can barely tell them apart from the original; and those who's imitations are so poor, even the spelling of the brand is humourous.

But why do people actually want to make imitations? One conclusion and probably the only today is that established brands, methods, creative ideas, and alternative expressions sell. The key word is 'established' and 'ideas'. People like the novelty of reading and having things that are different and rare.

So obviously, if the inventor does not patent his stuff, he gets copied. But my question to you is, are you as good or better than the original creator? Do you value-create for him/her, or do you simply dilute the originality with sub-standard creations of your own?

Don't get me wrong, I have no qualms about this disclaimer thing, nor the metaphorical expressions, nor the 'challenge-to-action' writings, it does not belong to me.

What I really hate is how you do not use it with care, with intention or purpose; but just because its cool, its different and you think its makes you one up because you are now sophisticatedly expressing yourself.

Get a life, please.

Write for all you want, but I could only conclude with total agreement that imitation is probably the greatest compliment. May I thank you (all), how have tried so hard, for your compliments.
For your cheap thrill.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really do appreciate your blog. Well done, even though it's not mine! Just kidding! Off to find fossil handbag or something like that. Take care.

February 22, 2006 at 12:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really did enjoy your info. Cool comments. Have a great day.

April 3, 2006 at 10:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home