Thursday, July 15, 2004

Del Monte

(Disclaimer: This entry is solely based on the imaginations, thoughts and reflections of the writer. It bears no relations, or is nor an advertisement campaign by Del Monte, or any of the affiliates of the Banana Merchant/Plantation/Distributor/Consumer Association, or anyone going bananas.)

In our most recent talk in town about 'classes' or 'social-classes' in Singapore; I cannot help but to use the most branded banana in town, as the title of my Banana entry.

There is one thing that never changes when you peel a Banana. However you peel it, there will always be a Banana inside, like it or not. I mean, have you ever peeled a Banana and find an orange inside? No!

You can peel the skin of the Banana off, in between 2-8 peels, depending on the size you peel it, and how delicately you try opening up your banana. You still get a banana inside.

However nice the banana skin looks like, however ripe it appears to be, the nice Del Monte sticker on it, but do we eat the skin of the banana? Does the skin provide us the fibre we need, or the taste we seek?

The skin's mission to is tell us if that which is inside is ripe enough, the intensity of the colour depicts its freshness, or even 'breed' and perhaps to the M. acuminata connoisseur , its vintage.

But the very fact is we still eat, and only eat, what's inside.

Isn't this the same about us?

When you peel away my humour(wit vs. corniness), my emotions, my disposition, my energy, ability to create or even write, peel by peel, to get into the withins of me, what do you see?

Is what I am inside pretty much translated by the skin that I come before you with? Have you ever seen beyond the skin that I come with, to the core of me, and appreciated it?

It is when you will fully peel off all the skin from the Banana, and eat what's within, that you get the nutrients, fibre and even the taste of it.

Like the Banana, it is only then that you take away all the different facades of me, and understand why I do what I do; that you fully appreciate the me, to fellowship with.

Being always so faithful, the banana is always a banana however you peel it, beneath the skin shall never change what is it inside.

Learning from the Banana, it is intentional and purposeful that whatever skin (or different facades) of me you see; will be a reflection of what is within me, of what makes me up to be.

I'm probably going Bananas, but like how the song they all sing and dance to, goes...

Bananas of the world, Unite!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home