Tuesday, May 06, 2003

Starbucks
(Disclaimer: This entry is solely based on the imagination, thoughts and reflection of the writer. It bears no relations, or is nor an advertisement campaign by Starbucks, or Bon Cafe/Star Pte Ltd, or any of the affiliates of the Coffeejoint.)

I met an old friend on Sunday. Was making my way to Starbucks. Our conversation went this way,

Friend: 'Hey, Hi! How have you been?'
Mun: 'Great, exams are over, been bumming around much, how about you?'
Friend: 'Not too bad, camp has been tiring..but good. Where you heading?'
Mun: 'Starbucks, you?'
Friend: (rolls eyes) 'Oh, always la you..I'm buying something...'

The relationship between Starbucks and I dates back long ago. Everytime you cannot find me in school, or at home, try Starbucks. I think I am more remembered for my love for coffee, than how I looked (Actually, I'm quite grateful la).

The closure of one of my favorite and most frequent Starbucks joint in 2001 (..I think) was perhaps one of the saddest moments in the history of the shopping mall. For a moment, the demise of the mega-joint felt as good as the departure of the entire shopping complex.

Now you must be wondering why on earth I am so attached to this coffeejoint. (..and My coffeebean-loyal mates must be swearing now, too bad, but read on.. =? ) I think I spent one of the best years of my life sitting down at Starbucks. I somehow could study, read, reflect, chat, laugh, cry, date, stone or even talk to myself there.

The fond memories of my younger Starbucks days lingers in my mind till today. The best things and the worst stuff has happened there, for me . I even did a Marketing Project for Starbucks.

So, what's the big deal about Starbucks? Actually nothing. Although speciality coffees like a latte or an espresso are my likes, I have the machine at home..and can make my own espressos, steamed milk..and viola, my latte.

Hmmm.. I'm actually writing about Starbucks, not for its coffee, but Starbucks, the place, not the ambience, but for the people that has had shared many star moments with me there, over a coffee.

I've been depressed lately. I miss going to Starbucks so often to load off my nonsense.. to unwind, to lament. I miss going there alone just to spend time with myself. To space out, to give myself time and relaxation moments.

Most of all, I miss my friends. We've seem to all have parted and gone separate ways. We seem to have our dreams to live for, our ambitions to rise up to, and our destiny to fulfil. We've seem to grow apart from each other, gone overseas to pursue a better education, a better life.

The darkest days, or the brightest ones were shared one to another there, then.

Yes, I still go to Starbucks. But it isn't the same as before. Something's missing. Perhaps my heart is missing. The epicenter of my central function isn't present where the body should be.

My friends, Starbucking has never been the same since we parted. We haven't been free enough for each other, or no time being our most convenient excuse. Whatever it is..I want to tell you this one thing. These moments are those that made a difference in my life. It has made, and left permanent footprints in my life, it wasn't on sand, it was on clay.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home